Amendment To Exempt Bible Verses from Hate Crime Bill Rejected
and Students Suspended for Wearing Bible Verses on Shirts
(See documentation in Footnotes and read this article on line at http://www.wpaag.org/Hate%20crime%20-%20Bible%20verses%20not%20exempt.htm
The US “hate crime bill” bill, H.R. 1592, passed the House of Representatives yesterday 237-180. 212 Democrats and 25 Republicans voted for it, and 14 Democrats and 166 Republicans voted against it. It has not passed the Senate yet.
Pastors: Act now or prepare for jail!
(See contacts and how to help below)
Conservatives have been warning Christians they need to get involved to fight this bill because it would take away Christians' freedom to use the Bible verses dealing with homosexuality, even for pastors in the pulpit. If there was any doubt that this could be one of the main purposes of the bill, then consider this amendment to the hate crime bill that the Democrats killed in the Rules Committee. An amendment was offered "to clarify that the printing, distribution, or public reading of the Bible is not prohibited by any of the provisions of the bill." The amendment failed by vote of 9 to 4. 1 (See official government document on this amendment in footnote 1 below.
Discussion on the
hate crime bill in the Judiciary Committee confirms the Bible will not be exempt
from hate crime law. The Traditional Values Coalition monitored all meetings.
It is reported that Congressman Gohmert, in trying to get an amendment added
that would protect constitutional speech, asked the committee,
“If a minister was giving a sermon, a Bible study
or any kind of written or spoken message saying that homosexuality was a serious
sin and a person in the congregation went out and committed a crime against a
homosexual, would the minister be charged with the crime of incitement?”
After trying to evade that question and still being pinned to the wall by
Gohmert, finally Democrat Congressman Artur Davis from Alabama spoke up and
said, “Yes.” 2
A Swedish pastor, name Ake Green, was put in jail for a month for preaching that homosexuality is a sin under the Swedish hate crimes law and Canadian and French legislators have been fined for publicly criticizing homosexuality. 3
In an article, "Pastors: Act now or prepare for jail," the author says if the pastor read from Romans 1, I Corinthians 6, Genesis 19, or Leviticus 18 or 20, and a person who "attended your church, read your materials or heard your broadcast commits a crime – such as pushing away a cross-dresser's unwelcome advances" the pastor would be "punishable as a principal." The pastor could considered as ," as someone who "counsels" and "induces" the now-illegal belief that homosexual behavior is a sin under the hate crime bill. http://www.wnd.com:80/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55348
Students with Bible Verses on Their Shirts Suspended
And it won't be only pastors that will be punished under the hate crime law. Just recently, May 3, 07 an article entitled "Christian students with Bible messages on shirts booted" reported: 4
"At least another 75 students have been suspended from school in California for wearing shirts that expressed their biblically-based, and the district that, as WND reported, has been imposing the punishments, says those quotations aren't necessarily acceptable because they are from God's Word. The suspensions were begun on April 18 when the homosexual lobby-supported "Day of Silence" was observed in public schools in California – and across the nation.
"The issues initially arose at Inderkum, Rio Linda and San Juan high schools during the event promoted by the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network organization, which advocates for the homosexual lifestyle and promotes educating children in that choice.
"During that event, students go around school during the day without speaking, and they hand out cards stating they are protesting the "discrimination" against the homosexual lifestyle
"An unknown number of students but at least dozens and perhaps hundreds of students were suspended for that day when they arrived wearing T-shirts proclaiming the Bible's condemnation of homosexuality… But the school also allows T-shirts promoting homosexuality, too, with messages such as "I'm gay," he noted.
"And recently, a British couple told how they were denied the chance to adopt because it was determined that their Christian faith might 'prejudice' them against a homosexual child put in their care," LaBarbera added. 5
"Already in the United States, Catholic Charities of Boston halted all adoption operations in the state after being told under Massachusetts' pro-'gay' nondiscrimination law, only agencies that placed children in homosexual-led households would get licensed by the state. 6
Please help by doing one of the following:
1. Call or email President Bush and ask him to veto the hate crime bill H.R. 1592, if it passes the Senate. Contact him by one of following
2. Call, fax and email the two Arkansas Senators: and ask them to vote against the hate crime bill H.R. 1592. Tell them Arkansas has rejected a hate crime bill in Arkansas nine times so that indicates Arkansas does not want a hate crime bill.
Senator Blanche Lambert Lincoln (D- AR) Phone 202-224-4843 Fax :202-228-1371 Go to this link to send an email: http://lincoln.senate.gov/html/webform.html
Senator Mark Pryor (D- AR) Phone: 202-224-2353 Fax: 202-228-0908 Go to this link to send an email. http://pryor.senate.gov/email_webform.htm
3. Contact three of our Representatives and thank them for voting against the hate crime bill and contact Rep.Vic Snyder and tell him you are disappointed in his vote because he did vote for the hate crime bill that Arkansas has now rejected at the state level nine times. The first number below is the telephone number; the second number is the fax number and the third number is the link to website to send an email.
4. Write letters to the editor and include this information in order to educate the public. Most people do not know the ramifications of the hate crime bill
1. http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquery/R?cp110:FLD010:@1(hr120 See motion #17.
2. See these two links for two different articles on this:
Judiciary Committee on "Hate Crimes", April 25, 07 http://www.gracecentered.com/christian_forums/index.php?topic=18228.msg382539
Democrats Refuse Religious Freedom Amendment to Hate Crimes Bill http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2007/apr/07042601.html
3. Pastor gets prison for sermon http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=39328
Diss a 'gay'? Go to jail! http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54260
4. Another 75 suspended for opposing 'gay' day; Christian students with Bible messages on shirts booted http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55498
5. Diss a 'gay'? Go to jail! http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54260
6. Diss a 'gay'? Go to jail! http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54260
Women's Prayer and Action Group