Obama's Common Core Is A Combination of Federal and UN Curriculum On Steroids
(This was a guest editoral published in Jonesboro Sun,
July 27, 2013 by Debbie Pelley, Jonesboro, Arkansas)
(This was a guest editoral published in Jonesboro Sun, July 27, 2013 by Debbie Pelley, Jonesboro, Arkansas)
Imagine the likes of Janet Napolitano writing the curriculum for your child's education. Few people realize this is exactly what has happened under Obama's Race to the Top and Common Core curriculum that establishes international benchmarks.
Remember Janet Napolitano - Obama's Secretary of Homeland Security, the official issuing the bulletin warning law officials across the nation to watch for rightwing extremist activity - labeling returning veterans, and citizens opposed to abortion, firearms restriction, illegal immigration, homosexuality, high taxes, government control, etc. as possible violent antigovernment groups. 1 Napolitano was also attorney for Anita Hill who trumped up sexual harassment charges against Clarence Thomas in 1991, hoping to prevent his appointment to the US Supreme Court. 2
A press release states that the centerpiece for Obama's Common Core (Race to the Top) includes "adopting internationally benchmarked education standards." "Internationally" suggests just what it means - curriculum developed through the United Nations (UNESCO). Ten billion dollars in grant money from the stimulus bill and the 2009 budget were made available to states and districts that would implement Obama's reform (buying our curriculum with our taxpayer money). 3
An International Benchmarking Advisory Group was created by three leading education policy organizations to provide the states a roadmap for implementing international benchmarks standards in the US. The Advisory Group was co-chaired by then Governor Janet Napolitano. The organizations that created this Advisory Group were the National Governors Association, Council of Chief State School Officers, and Achieve, Inc. 4
The only comprehensive "internationally benchmarked" education standards in existence are those developed by UNESCO and the International Baccalaureate Organization. Schools incorporating these standards are called IB or IBO schools and are found in 31 countries, 1,439 in the United States and 12 schools (not districts) in Arkansas. 5 UNESCO provided the funding to create the IBO program. 6
"In one of its first efforts in 1949, the UNESCO textbook for teachers, titled Toward World Understanding,' reads, 'As long as the child breathes the poisoned air of nationalism, education in world-mindedness can produce only rather precarious results. As we have pointed out, it is frequently the family that infects the child with extreme nationalism.'" 7
So what is IBO? IBO stands for International Baccalaureate Organization. "School board members in a Minnesota district call it anti-American and anti-Christian. Critics argue that IBO's multicultural themes promote values that conflict with traditional Judeo-Christian values. One teacher objects to the program because of IBO's endorsement of the Earth Charter that calls for sustainability of the Earth through, among other things, responsible reproduction and wealth distribution. Many opponents have called it Marxist. Another critic says IBO promotes socialism, disarmament, and moral relativism, and radical environmentalism. 8
Obama's Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan, has been a leader in implementing IBO schools in the nation and in the world. In 2007 Duncan was one of the keynote speakers at the World Conference for heads of IB [International Baccalaureate] World schools. The title of one of his presentations was "Using IB for Systemic Reform in North America." 9 Duncan is former superintendent of schools in Chicago and was previously the Director of Magnet Schools and Programs before he became superintendent of schools. Chicago has the highest concentration of IB schools in the country - 24 IB schools in Chicago. 10
Obama's former controversial White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, now Mayor of Chicago, continues with Duncan's expansion of IB schools, saying in Press Releases in 2012 that the Chicago Schools will create 10 new International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programmes in high schools and some wall-to-wall International Baccalaureate (IB) schools. 11
IBO was slipped through the Arkansas legislature by allowing IBO courses to substitute for Advanced Placement (AP) courses in 2005 with not one legislator voting against it. However, in the 2007 session some legislators, who had learned about IBO, fought back legislation to encourage more IB schools in Arkansas. At one point one of the magnet schools in Arkansas was in the process of becoming an IBO school. That too was dropped, at least officially.
As a public school teacher in Arkansas I researched education at the state and national level for 30 years. I learned all the buzzwords, the experts, organizations, and techniques used to deceive the public. But it was only about five years ago that I learned all our US educational reforms were rooted in the United Nations. I discovered 142-page booklet that can be found on the web http://www.esdtoolkit that spells it out. The booklet is entitled, "Education for Sustainable Development Toolkit, Version 2, July 2002." 12
Among many other such quotes, the author says, "Chapter 36 of Agenda 21 calls for reorienting education to address sustainable development. Reorienting education can appear as an insurmountable task that requires reform at every level of education - reform that would require more funding than is currently available in national budgets." 13
Despite what proponents say, Common core and Race to the Top curriculum do not consist of rigorous internationally benchmarked academic standards. But like other educational reforms in the last 30 years, they are designed to gain government control over education so as to implement the liberal curriculum. The names of reforms have changed, but the basic philosophy has not. The reforms began with Outcome Based Education, then Standards and Accountability, School to Work, NCLB, and now Race to the Top and Common Core.
The main difference now is that Obama's Common Core Curriculum is a combination of federal and United Nations curriculum on steroids.
Pelley , Jonesboro, Arkansas
, Jonesboro, Arkansas
1. Napolitano bulletin on right wing extremists. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/16/napolitano-stands-rightwing-extremism/ or http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/14/federal-agency-warns-of-radicals-on-right/?page=all#pagebreak
2. Anita Hill when Hill testified against U.S. Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas.” http://usliberals.about.com/od/stategovernors/p/Napolitano.htm and also this link: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2010/1020/Anita-Hill-vs.-Virginia-Thomas-Is-an-apology-due-19-years-later
3. Press Release on international standards centerpiece of Obama's Race to the Top. US Department of Education, July 24, 2009, "President Obama, U. S. Secretary of Education Duncan Announce National Competition to Advance School Reform."
4. Napolitano co chair of International Benchmarking Advisory Group http://www.achieve.org/top-state-education-policy-organizations-form-expert-advisory-group-international-benchmarking "Top State Education Policy Organizations Form Expert Advisory Group on International Benchmarking" September 8, 2008
5. IB Schools in Arkansas. 12 schools http://schoolboardinformation.com/Arkansas-IB-World-Schools.html and number of IBO schools in various countries and the US http://ibo.org/facts/schoolstats/progsbycountry.cfm
6. UNESCO provided funding for IBO "U. N. influence in U.S. schools by Henry Lamb" http://www.unwatch.com/hl012604.shtml See this link for further partnership of UNESCO & IBO http://www.ibo.org/partnerships/governments/index.cfm
7. See # 6
8. See # 6 and http://www.wpaag.org/International%20Bbaccalaureate%20Program%201.htm
9. Arne Duncan, Sec. of Education spoke at World Conference for heads of IB World schools in 2007 http://www.ibo.org/heads/conference2007/documents/IBGH-comp.pdf Topic: "Using IB for Systemic Reform in North America."
10. Arne Duncan, supt of Chicago schools, magnet schools & highest concentration of IB schools in the country. "Follow The Bouncing Ball ...From Obama, Ayers And Duncan To Ibo, Bellamy And Soros" http://truthaboutib.com/obamaduncanib.html and 24 B schools in Chicago
11.Rahm Emanuel and Ten new IBO schools in Chicago press release 2012 http://www.cps.edu/News/Press_releases/Pages/03_23_2012_PR1.aspx Rahm Emanuel & wall to wall IB schools in Chicago press release, 2012 . http://www.cps.edu/News/Press_releases/Pages/12_13_2012_PR3.aspx
12. The 142 page booklet entitled, "Education for Sustainable Development Toolkit, Version 2, July 2002." http://www.esdtoolkit.org/
13. page 42 in book in number 12
Other articles I wrote on IBO
IBO UN Global Education Program With Ties to Earth Charter in Arkansas
IBO promotes Total Disarmament but praises Islam -
IBO - Excerpts from IBO Direcotr Himself, G. Walker
IBO - Results in Low Scores & Performance
Posted May 3, 2014 by Women Action Group (WPAAG) but published in the
Jonesboro Sun July 27, 2013
Posted May 3, 2014 by Women Action Group (WPAAG) but published in the Jonesboro Sun July 27, 2013